As a business or small organization, it’s important to make sure you’re staying on top of your online presence, lest you fall behind your competition. In this article, we’ll go over 10 of the most common website mistakes – and how to avoid them.
1) Not having a website: This may seem like a no-brainer, but you would be surprised how many businesses don’t have an online presence. In today’s digital age, if you’re not online, you’re missing out on a huge chunk of potential customers.
2) Having a website that’s outdated: One of the biggest website mistakes is having an outdated website. If your website was designed in the early 2000s, it’s already two decades old! That means it’s likely that your site loads slowly, or doesn’t answer questions that today’s customers have.
3) Not using a website to its fullest potential: A website can do so much more than just act as an online business card. It can be used for marketing, selling products and services, and even providing valuable information to customers. If you’re not using your website to its fullest potential, you’re missing out on a lot of potential business.
4) Having a website that’s difficult to navigate: Another common website mistake is having a website that’s difficult to navigate. If your website is confusing or hard to use, customers are likely to leave without taking any action. Make sure your website is easy to use and has clear navigation paths.
5) Not using website analytics: Many businesses make the mistake of not using website analytics. This is a mistake, because website analytics can help you track how your website is performing and identify areas that need improvement. Analytics means more than how many people are coming from the site – it can help you identify the pages of your site that people visit first, and which pages don’t seem to capture your audience.
6) Not having a website “map”. What actions do you want your client to take when they visit your site? What do you want them to click first? What page do you want them to end up on? Is your “bottom line” getting a visitor to complete a form? Or to place an order? Is it EASY for them to get there?
7) Not using quality images: One of the first things people notice when they visit a website is the quality of the images. If your website has low-quality images, it will reflect poorly on your business. Make sure to use high-quality images that accurately represent your brand.
8) Not using videos: Videos are a great way to engage website visitors and explain your product or service. If you’re not using videos on your website, you’re missing out on a valuable opportunity to connect with your audience.
9) Not having a blog: A blog is a great way to provide valuable information to your customers and keep them updated on the latest news and events related to your business. If you’re not using a blog, you’re losing out on an opportunity to connect with your customers. Plus, Google loves fresh content. A blog is a great way to keep your site growing over time.
10) Not optimizing for search engines: Last but not least, one of the biggest website mistakes is not optimizing your website for search engines. If you’re not doing this, you’re losing out on potential traffic and customers. Make sure to use keywords and phrases that are relevant to your business, and optimize your website for the best search engine results.
Avoid these 10 website mistakes and you’ll be well on your way to having a website that’s effective and successful. Happy marketing!
Author: Michelle Bast, Pulley Media